Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day In Review

On Sunday we celebrated our first Mother's Day in Minnesota. Scott and Cole must've been planning our day for weeks because it was perfect. Even the weather seemed to be ordered in. Well, actually in the morning it was overcast but we're slow movers so by the time we were ready to greet the day it was outstanding! My boys woke me with breakfast in bed (on a tray even!) of french toast and hot white tea. Perfect! Then they presented me with my Mother's Day cards and the garden stone I've been longing for since Cole was born. Scott had Cole pick out the style and Cole took to the flip-flop style which means I really got two garden stones! They personalized it with beach glass (another of my favs) and of course Cole's foot imprint. That was enough for me right there but there was more!



After Cole snuck in a good nap (which gave me time to read - huge bonus) we headed out to the U's Arboretum. It's another one of the great places the library offers free passes to and I've been dying to go.


It seemed as though all the moms asked for the same thing because it was packed. It didn't feel crowded as you walked around though because the place is huge.


Based on what we've seen of Minnesota so far I think the state could give Texas a run for its money in the 'everything's bigger' category.



Cole loved taking in all the scenery and smells as much as Scott and I did. He even chattered away about some of the trees as he pointed them out to us. We understand a lot of what he's saying but he still only has a few good, clear words that are universally understood.



We know he'll be cracking us up all the time (he's already a great joke teller) but we also know we'll miss this stage once it's gone so we're trying to soak it up now until it's good and dry.


We spent a couple hours walking around and only lightheartedly tried to follow the guide map.




Scott wanted to walk over to the sensory garden but somehow we kept walking in the opposite direction.



Sometimes it was due to a great shot that we just had to take, sometimes it was because Cole wanted to go to the left instead, and sometimes it was just to get a break from the very warm sun.



We didn't realize until we got back and heard the weather report but it'd actually been 92 degrees out there!


With all those trees though you would've thought it was more like 80 - the breeze and the occasional waterfall is what saved us I think.


When we got home we played around for a while and then once Cole went to sleep Scott and I watched a movie. From beginning til end it was a perfect day. I hope all of you had a perfect Mother's Day (or graduation) as well! Congrats to Kate!



3 comments:

Jenny said...

First off, Melanie, you look great. Secondly, what a fun day! The flowers are so pretty, and it sounds like the weather couldn't get much better. I wouldn't expect anything less than you being spoiled all day! You deserve it! Miss ya!

Jenny said...

Cole, I know I am a little younger than you, but in a few years it won't matter. Maybe we can go out sometime for some fruit juice or something?!
You are so cute!
Love,
Reese

Heather said...

What great pictures you are taking :) I love the scenery ones, wants me want to come and visit MN. Good job keeping up on the blog, as I love the updates and to see how fast Cole is turning into a big boy :)